The Emergency Exit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ignored Genius?

2 posters

Go down

Ignored Genius? Empty Ignored Genius?

Post  X-Hentric Wed May 13, 2009 3:06 pm

In Mark Twain's "Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven" pp 87-96, there is a something about a tailor Billings from Tennessee - "the greatest writer who ever lived." He wrote, and threw everything in a trunk. :?

I came accross this from a transcribed conversation between Kurt Vonnegut and Lee Stringer, by the way.

Anyway, one night, a bunch of ruffians decided to have fun with this dude: they tarred and feathered him, rode him out of town on a rail, and - for the FUN of it Mad - threw him in a ditch. He died of pneumonia. His wife hated him. She was ashamed of him. She burned the trunk filled with his writings. Nobody but his neighbors ever read them, and they - being an ignorant lot - laughed at him, mocked him, tarred and feathered him, lynched him just for kicks.

That's as Amerikan as Pepsi-Cola and fucking basketball, huh?

I'll let Mark Twain tell the story:

Mark Twain as Captain Stormfield wrote:"That is the heavenly justice of it--they warn't rewarded according to their deserts, on earth, but here they get their rightful rank. That tailor Billings, from Tennessee, wrote poetry that Homer and Shakespeare couldn't begin to come up to; but nobody would print it, nobody read it but his neighbors, an ignorant lot, and they laughed at it. Whenever the village had a drunken frolic and a dance, they would drag him in and crown him with cabbage leaves, and pretend to bow down to him; and one night when he was sick and nearly starved to death, they had him out and crowned him, and then they rode him on a rail about the village, and everybody followed along, beating tin pans and yelling. Well, he died before morning.

He wasn't ever expecting to go to heaven, much less that there was going to be any fuss made over him, so I reckon he was a good deal surprised when the reception broke on him."

"Was you there, Sandy?"

"Bless you, no!"

"Why? Didn't you know it was going to come off?"

"Well, I judge I did. It was the talk of these realms--not for a day, like this barkeeper business, but for twenty years before the man died."

"Why the mischief didn't you go, then?"

"Now how you talk! The like of me go meddling around at the reception of a prophet? A mudsill like me trying to push in and help receive an awful grandee like Edward J. Billings? Why, I should have been laughed at for a billion miles around. I shouldn't ever heard the last of it."

Well, anyway, Billings had the grandest reception that has been seen in thousands of centuries, and I think it will have a good effect. His name will be carried pretty far, and it will make our system talked about, and maybe our world, too, and raise us in the respect of the general public of heaven. Why, look here--Shakespeare walked backwards before that tailor from Tennessee, and scattered flowers for him to walk on, and Homer stood behind his chair and waited on him at the banquet.

Of course that didn't go for much THERE, amongst all those big foreigners from other systems, as they hadn't heard of Shakespeare or Homer either, but it would amount to considerable down there on our little earth if they could know about it. I wish there was something in that miserable spiritualism, so we could send them word. That Tennessee village would set up a monument to Billings, then, and his autograph would outsell Satan's. Well, they had grand times at that reception--a small-fry noble from Hoboken told me all about it--Sir Richard Duffer, Baronet."
X-Hentric
X-Hentric
Admin

https://isis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ignored Genius? Empty Re: Ignored Genius?

Post  X-Hentric Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 pm

X-Hentric
X-Hentric
Admin

https://isis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nat Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:43 pm

But there is no heaven, not that I can believe, anyway. You just die and are no more. If you were ignored during your lifetime then that is all. Even if you are "discovered" posthumously it does you no good. Only the fantasy of being so discovered could be of any use, and I don't have that fantasy.

For me, it is in this light that the story of "Billings" takes on its true horror.

Nat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum