The Emergency Exit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power

2 posters

Go down

Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power Empty Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power

Post  X-Hentric Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 pm

This is just a recap on something that came up in a discussion about Israel (the State). It's about abandoning hope. I want to make clear that the practice of abandoning hope is meant to empower us, and does not imply we ought to just kill ourselves. I abandon hope because hope implies powerlessness. We hope when we can do nothing else. When you quit relying on hope, you become very dangerous to those in power.

Those in power are hell-bent on destroying the planet, and most people don’t care.

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."

Dante claimed this inscription was over the entrance to Hell. I think we should imagine that inscription over our heads, so that we might walk with our eyes open. Hell very well may be "futurelessness" - a world in which no one can imagine their grandchildren or great-grandchildren -- and so, here we are.

I am a living animal. Whoever I was to be for this society - He is dead. He was farmed with the rest to be a gort. He was the cop in my head that died with hope. I am a creature with animal feelings ... always hungry, usually day-dreaming about some female ... The real me is my animal body just being.

No matter what anyone thinks of Derrick Jensen, I think he is on to something with moving "Beyond Hope."

Derrick Jensen wrote:Hope is, in fact, a curse, a bane. I say this not only because of the lovely Buddhist saying “Hope and fear chase each other’s tails,” not only because hope leads us away from the present, away from who and where we are right now and toward some imaginary future state. I say this because of what hope is.

More or less all of us yammer on more or less endlessly about hope. You wouldn’t believe — or maybe you would — how many magazine editors have asked me to write about the apocalypse, then enjoined me to leave readers with a sense of hope. But what, precisely, is hope? At a talk I gave last spring, someone asked me to define it. I turned the question back on the audience, and here’s the definition we all came up with: hope is a longing for a future condition over which you have no agency; it means you are essentially powerless.

I’m not, for example, going to say I hope I eat something tomorrow. I just will. I don’t hope I take another breath right now, nor that I finish writing this sentence. I just do them. On the other hand, I do hope that the next time I get on a plane, it doesn’t crash. To hope for some result means you have given up any agency concerning it.

When you give up on hope, the exploiter/victim relationship is broken. You rise up. You defend what you love. You stand up for yourself. Hope is a pacifier.

When you give up on hope, you turn away from fear.

Derrick Jensen wrote:
A WONDERFUL THING happens when you give up on hope, which is that you realize you never needed it in the first place. You realize that giving up on hope didn’t kill you. It didn’t even make you less effective. In fact it made you more effective, because you ceased relying on someone or something else to solve your problems — you ceased hoping your problems would somehow get solved through the magical assistance of God, the Great Mother, the Sierra Club, valiant tree-sitters, brave salmon, or even the Earth itself — and you just began doing whatever it takes to solve those problems yourself.

When you give up on hope, something even better happens than it not killing you, which is that in some sense it does kill you. You die. And there’s a wonderful thing about being dead, which is that they — those in power — cannot really touch you anymore. Not through promises, not through threats, not through violence itself. Once you’re dead in this way, you can still sing, you can still dance, you can still make love, you can still fight like hell — you can still live because you are still alive, more alive in fact than ever before. You come to realize that when hope died, the you who died with the hope was not you, but was the you who depended on those who exploit you, the you who believed that those who exploit you will somehow stop on their own, the you who believed in the mythologies propagated by those who exploit you in order to facilitate that exploitation. The socially constructed you died. The civilized you died. The manufactured, fabricated, stamped, molded you died. The victim died.

And who is left when that you dies? You are left. Animal you. Naked you. Vulnerable (and invulnerable) you. Mortal you. Survivor you. The you who thinks not what the culture taught you to think but what you think. The you who feels not what the culture taught you to feel but what you feel. The you who is not who the culture taught you to be but who you are. The you who can say yes, the you who can say no. The you who is a part of the land where you live. The you who will fight (or not) to defend your family. The you who will fight (or not) to defend those you love. The you who will fight (or not) to defend the land upon which your life and the lives of those you love depends. The you whose morality is not based on what you have been taught by the culture that is killing the planet, killing you, but on your own animal feelings of love and connection to your family, your friends, your landbase — not to your family as self-identified civilized beings but as animals who require a landbase, animals who are being killed by chemicals, animals who have been formed and deformed to fit the needs of the culture.

We become "dangerous" to those in power when we abandon hope. That's why we want to abandon hope. We want to be dangerous to those in power.
X-Hentric
X-Hentric
Admin

https://isis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power Empty thinking positive is just plain stupid, if not totally insane

Post  X-Hentric Thu May 14, 2009 1:20 pm

In another thread, Blaze wrote something that forces me to acknowledge that my "negative attitude" began during adolesence as well. I was "Schopenaherian" before I had ever even read him. At age 16, at the local McDonald's where I did maintenance work on the weekends, the other employees called me "the philosopher." And yet, even more so now than ever, I will not let go of this so-called bad attitude.

Blaze wrote:I'm not necessarily saying I don't have a chemical imbalance in my brain, just pointing out that my "negative thoughts" (or attitude) began when I was about 13 which is the same time I realized that the authority around me at the time (mainly teachers) were subject to the very same petty human weaknesses that some of my fellow 13 year olds were (and in many cases, the adults were far worse). Nothing shatters the myth of youthful innocence like the discovering that the very people who are entrusted with guiding, educating and fostering your intellectual development are insecure idiotic morons more interested in career advancement, competitive one-upmanship, and screwing under age girls (and in at least one case - boys - not me though). And in adulthood things go downhill from there - with the political authorities that govern our every move & thought and make the vindictive power-seeking teachers of our schooling look like veritable saints in comparison. The enemy is human ignorance (based largely on greed and superiority). Always has been. Always will be. But unfortunately, human ignorance can not be fought (as one might think) with human intelligence. Ignorance carries a bigger stick. I've got the bruises to prove it. But at least we can take comfort in the words of others who have come to similar conclusions, and maybe, use our own form of system sabotage to at least survive.

Truth is the enemy of power. cheers

I like your attitude, Blaze. Here is something Sushil Yadav wrote about "positive thinking."

Sushil Yadav wrote:Think Positive.

Psychologists say -- Think Positive.
Politicians say – Think Positive.
Economists say – Think Positive.
Scientists say – Think Positive.
Everyone says – Think Positive.

Arctic ice is melting – Glaciers are melting – Rivers are drying up. Think Positive.

Fish population in Oceans is down to 1/3 of what it was 100 years ago. Think Positive.

Pollution levels are going sky-high and valley-deep. Think Positive.

There used to be millions of members in most species of Animals and Birds. Now they are down to thousands and hundreds. Think Positive.

Weather is getting more and more irregular and unpredictable. Think Positive.

Metal everywhere - Concrete everywhere - Plastic everywhere. Think Positive. Mad

All local cultures have been destroyed in the name of consumerism and globalization. Evil or Very Mad Think Positive.

Thinking positive is the height of insanity. Thinking positive is the height of abnormality.

This is a world that has become completely incapable of feeling Pain, Compassion, Remorse and Guilt. The planet is getting destroyed moment by moment – and people are thinking positive.

Very soon there will be 1 Animal and 1 Tree left in this world – and people will still be thinking positive.

They will be holding Seminars, Conferences and Global-Summits to save the Environment. bom

There is an important point which the human-species needs to understand. People think they can save the Environment by doing something.

We can never save the environment by doing something. It is overactivity that has destroyed environment in the first place.

And it is not Mild Overactivity – It is Excessive Overactivity – Exponential Overactivity.

We cannot save the environment by doing something. We can only save it by doing less of what we have been doing - much less of what we have been doing. If we want to save environment we will have to reduce human activity [overactivity] by 99%.

Ecosystems are getting destroyed due to production of consumer goods. Every consumer good is made by killing animals, trees, air, water and land - directly or indirectly. [ more killing of nature takes place when consumer goods are used and discarded]

Industrial society is destroying necessary things - animals, trees, air, water and land for making unnecessary things - consumer goods.

The sane way of saving ecosystems is - you stop production of consumer goods - you reduce production of consumer goods to the minimum level. But the insane Industrial Society continues producing consumer goods [ in fact production is being increased every day]

The insane response of Industrial Society is - We will save the environment with technology - the best technology. Bring this technology - Bring that technology. Bring this technology - Bring that technology. In the meantime production of consumer goods continues - 3 billion people living in cities are continuously engaged in - making , buying and selling of consumer goods - killing the ecosystems moment by moment.

One can imagine the fate of environment. Height of Insanity.......Height of Abnormality. Destroy consumerism..... before it is too late.
Destroy Industrial Society.....before it is too late.

Dissent is India's greatest export. Twisted Evil

Once we give up hope, part of us dies. This is a good death.

Recall Jensen's words: "There’s a wonderful thing about being dead, which is that they — those in power — cannot really touch you anymore. Not through promises, not through threats, not through violence itself. Once you’re dead in this way, you can still sing, you can still dance, you can still make love, you can still fight like hell — you can still live because you are still alive, more alive in fact than ever before. You come to realize that when hope died, the you who died with the hope was not you, but was the you who depended on those who exploit you ..."
X-Hentric
X-Hentric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power Empty Re: Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power

Post  Blaze Fri May 15, 2009 2:28 pm

That Sushil Yadav stufff is great. I searched him to find out more, and I see he posts on various forums, usually to a poor reception. His thoughts are apparently too extreme for some, but he stands his ground. One forum he posted on caught my attention. http://www.corrupt.org You might already know it, but I hadn't stumbled on it. Here's their mission statement - short and sweet.

CORRUPT is dedicated to the idea that human drama corrupts everything we try to do. That's why we dethrone the good guys who speak the truth and we promote smiling idiots to power. That's why our civilization (and probably our species) is coming to an end.
Blaze
Blaze

Back to top Go down

Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power Empty Re: Hopelessly DANGEROUS to those in power

Post  X-Hentric Fri May 15, 2009 3:37 pm

That is a great mission statement. Could you add it over in the Abandon Hope forum ?
X-Hentric
X-Hentric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum